An angle grinder is a versatile tool that can be used for various tasks, such as cutting, grinding, polishing, sanding, and sharpening metal, wood, stone, concrete, and other materials. Angle grinders are also known as side grinders or disc grinders, and they come in different sizes, shapes, and features. But what is the best angle grinder for everyday use? How do you choose the right one for your needs?
The best angle grinder for everyday use is the one that suits your budget, preferences, and projects. There is no single answer to this question, as different users may have different requirements and expectations.
However, there are some general factors that you should consider when buying an angle grinder, such as:
- Power: The power of an angle grinder is measured in watts, amps, or volts, depending on whether it is corded or cordless. The higher the power, the faster and more efficient the tool can perform. However, higher power also means higher weight, noise, and vibration, which can affect your comfort and control. For everyday use, you may not need a very powerful angle grinder, unless you work with hard or thick materials. A power range of 500 to 1500 watts, or 4 to 15 amps, or 18 to 20 volts, should be sufficient for most tasks.
- Speed: The speed of an angle grinder is measured in revolutions per minute (RPM), and it determines how fast the disc rotates. The higher the speed, the smoother and cleaner the cut or grind. However, higher speed also means higher heat and friction, which can damage the disc or the material. For everyday use, you may not need a very high-speed angle grinder, unless you work with soft or thin materials. A speed range of 5000 to 11000 RPM should be adequate for most tasks.
- Size: The size of an angle grinder is determined by the diameter of the disc, which can range from 4 to 9 inches. The larger the disc, the deeper and wider the cut or grind. However, larger discs also require more power and torque, and they are heavier and harder to maneuver. For everyday use, you may not need a very large angle grinder, unless you work with large or thick materials. A disc size of 4.5 to 6 inches should be versatile for most tasks.
- Features: The features of an angle grinder are the additional functions or components that enhance its performance, safety, or convenience. Some of the common features are:
- Adjustable guard: This is a protective cover that shields the disc and prevents sparks, debris, or dust from flying towards you or the surroundings. An adjustable guard allows you to change the position or angle of the guard according to the direction of the cut or grind.
- Spindle lock: This is a button or lever that locks the spindle or shaft of the tool, so that you can easily change the disc without using a wrench or a spanner.
- Soft start: This is a feature that gradually increases the speed of the tool when you switch it on, instead of instantly reaching the maximum speed. This helps to reduce the kickback or recoil of the tool, and gives you more control and stability.
- Variable speed: This is a feature that allows you to adjust the speed of the tool according to the type or hardness of the material. This helps to prevent overheating, burning, or cracking of the disc or the material.
- Anti-vibration: This is a feature that reduces the vibration or shaking of the tool, which can cause fatigue, discomfort, or loss of grip. This can be achieved by using rubber or foam handles, dampeners, or counterweights.
- Brushless motor: This is a type of motor that does not use carbon brushes to transfer electricity, which reduces friction, heat, and wear and tear. This makes the motor more efficient, durable, and quiet.
These are some of the factors that you should consider when choosing the best angle grinder for everyday use. However, you should also read the reviews, ratings, and feedback from other users, as well as the warranty, service, and support from the manufacturer or seller. You should also test the tool before buying it, if possible, to see how it feels and works in your hands.
Best angle grinders for everyday use
To help you narrow down your options, here are some of the best angle grinders for everyday use that you can find on the market, based on their features, performance, and popularity:
This is a corded angle grinder that has a powerful 11-amp motor that delivers 11000 RPM. It has a dust ejection system that ejects dust and debris from the tool, extending its lifespan. It has a one-touch guard that allows you to adjust the guard with a single action. It has a paddle switch that provides more control and comfort. It has a spindle lock that enables quick and easy disc changes. It has a 3-year limited warranty, a 1-year free service contract, and a 90-day money-back guarantee.
This is a cordless angle grinder that has a brushless motor that delivers 8500 RPM. It has an automatic speed change technology that adjusts the speed and torque according to the load. It has an electric brake that stops the disc within 2 seconds after releasing the switch. It has a soft start feature that reduces the start-up shock. It has a variable speed control dial that allows you to select the speed from 3000 to 8500 RPM. It has a rubberized soft grip that reduces vibration and fatigue. It has a 3-year limited warranty on the tool and battery.
This is a corded angle grinder that has a 6-amp motor that delivers 11000 RPM. It has a lock-on slide switch that provides continuous operation and ease of use. It has a reinforced wheel guard that provides extra protection and durability. It has a spindle lock that enables quick and easy disc changes. It has a 2-position side handle that provides more control and comfort. It has a 1-year limited warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
These are some of the best angle grinders for everyday use that you can consider buying. However, you should always do your own research and comparison before making a final decision. Remember, the best angle grinder for everyday use is the one that suits your budget, preferences, and projects. Happy grinding!