Painting the exterior of a house is a great way to improve its curb appeal, protect it from the elements, and increase its value. But how much does it cost to hire a professional painter to do the job? In this article, we will answer this question and provide some tips on how to save money and get the best results.
The Average Labor Cost to Paint a House Exterior
The average labor cost to paint a house exterior is $0.80 to $2.80 per square foot or 70% to 80% of the total cost. Professional painter hourly rates are $20 to $50 plus materials or $200 to $500 per day on average.
The labor cost depends on several factors, such as:
- The size and condition of the house
- The number of stories and windows
- The type and quality of the paint
- The amount of prep work and repairs needed
- The location and season of the project
- The experience and reputation of the painter
To get a more accurate estimate, you should contact at least three local painters and ask for a written quote that includes the scope of work, the materials used, the timeline, and the warranty. You can also use online calculators or tools to get a rough idea of the cost based on your home’s dimensions and features.
How to Choose the Right Paint for Your House
One of the most important decisions you have to make when painting your house exterior is the type and color of the paint. The paint you choose will affect not only the appearance but also the durability and performance of the paint job.
There are two main types of paint for exterior use: latex and oil-based. Latex paint is water-based, easy to clean, fast-drying, and resistant to cracking and fading. Oil-based paint is more durable, adheres better to different surfaces, and provides a smoother finish. However, oil-based paint is also more expensive, harder to clean, slower-drying, and prone to yellowing and peeling.
The best type of paint for your house depends on the material of your siding, the climate of your area, and your personal preference. Generally, latex paint is recommended for most siding materials, such as wood, vinyl, stucco, and brick. Oil-based paint is better for metal, concrete, and aluminum siding.
The color of the paint is also a crucial factor to consider. The color you choose should complement the style and architecture of your house, as well as the surrounding landscape and neighborhood. You should also think about the mood and impression you want to create, as well as the energy efficiency and resale value of your house.
Some tips for choosing the right color for your house are:
- Use a color wheel or a paint app to find colors that match or contrast with your roof, trim, doors, and windows.
- Test the paint colors on a small area of your house and observe how they look at different times of the day and in different lighting conditions.
- Avoid colors that are too bright, too dark, or too trendy, as they may clash with your house or go out of style quickly.
- Consider the impact of the color on the temperature and comfort of your house. Light colors reflect more heat and can help keep your house cooler in the summer, while dark colors absorb more heat and can make your house warmer in the winter.
- Consult a professional painter or a color consultant for advice and recommendations.
How to Prepare Your House for Painting
Before you hire a painter or start painting your house yourself, you need to prepare your house for painting. This involves cleaning, repairing, and priming the exterior surfaces to ensure a smooth and long-lasting paint job.
The steps to prepare your house for painting are:
- Wash the exterior of your house with a pressure washer or a garden hose and a mild detergent to remove dirt, dust, mold, mildew, and loose paint. Allow the surface to dry completely before painting.
- Scrape off any peeling or chipping paint with a scraper or a wire brush. Sand any rough or glossy areas with sandpaper or a sander. Fill any holes or cracks with caulk or wood filler. Replace any rotten or damaged siding or trim.
- Apply a coat of primer to the exterior of your house with a roller or a sprayer. Primer is a special type of paint that seals the surface and improves the adhesion and coverage of the topcoat. Choose a primer that is compatible with the type and color of the paint you are using.
- Cover any areas that you do not want to paint, such as windows, doors, lights, and plants, with painter’s tape, plastic sheeting, or drop cloths.
How to Save Money and Get the Best Results
Painting the exterior of a house can be a costly and time-consuming project, but there are some ways to save money and get the best results. Here are some tips to follow:
- Compare prices and reviews of different painters and choose one that offers a fair and competitive rate, a detailed and transparent contract, a good reputation, and a satisfaction guarantee.
- Schedule the project in the off-season, such as fall or winter, when the demand and prices for painters are lower. Avoid painting in extreme weather conditions, such as rain, snow, wind, or high humidity, as they can affect the quality and durability of the paint job.
- Choose a high-quality paint that is suitable for your house and the environment. Cheap or low-quality paint may save you money upfront, but it may also require more coats, fade faster, and peel sooner, resulting in higher maintenance and repair costs in the long run.
- Do some of the prep work yourself, such as washing, scraping, sanding, and priming, if you have the skills and tools. This can reduce the labor cost and time of the painter. However, be careful not to damage your house or injure yourself in the process.
- Maintain your paint job by cleaning, inspecting, and touching up your house exterior regularly. This can prevent dirt, mold, mildew, and insects from damaging the paint and extend its lifespan.
Painting the exterior of a house is a worthwhile investment that can enhance the beauty, protection, and value of your home. However, it also requires careful planning, budgeting, and execution. By following the tips and advice in this article, you can find out the average labor cost to paint a house exterior, choose the right paint for your house, prepare your house for painting, and save money and get the best results. We hope this article has been helpful and informative for you. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us. Thank you for reading.