The best outdoor furniture to withstand the sun is made of materials that are durable, weather-resistant, and heat-resistant, such as HDPE lumber, aluminum, teak, and resin. These materials can maintain their appearance, comfort, and functionality even after years of exposure to harsh sunlight and high temperatures. In this article, we will explore the benefits and drawbacks of each material, as well as some tips on how to choose and care for your outdoor furniture.
HDPE lumber (Check Discounted furniture Price Now) is a type of plastic that is made from recycled materials, such as milk jugs and detergent bottles. It is also known as polywood or synthetic wood, as it mimics the look and feel of natural wood. HDPE lumber is one of the best materials for outdoor furniture for full sun, as it has several advantages:
- It is resistant to fading, cracking, warping, and splintering, as it contains UV inhibitors that protect it from sun damage.
- It is easy to clean and maintain, as it does not require painting, staining, or sealing. You can simply wipe it with a damp cloth or hose it down with water.
- It is eco-friendly, as it reduces the amount of plastic waste in landfills and does not emit harmful chemicals or gases.
- It is available in a variety of colors, styles, and designs, so you can find the perfect match for your outdoor space.
However, HDPE lumber also has some drawbacks that you should be aware of:
- It is more expensive than other types of plastic, as it is made from high-quality materials and processes.
- It is heavier than other types of plastic, as it is denser and more solid. This can make it harder to move or rearrange your furniture.
- It can still get hot if left in direct sunlight for long periods of time, so you may want to use cushions or covers to make it more comfortable.
Aluminum (Check Discounted furniture Price Now) is a type of metal that is widely used for outdoor furniture, as it is lightweight, strong, and rust-resistant. Aluminum furniture can withstand high temperatures and remain cool to the touch, making it ideal for hot and sunny climates. Some of the benefits of aluminum furniture are:
- It is easy to move and store, as it is lightweight and often foldable or stackable.
- It is durable and sturdy, as it can support a lot of weight and resist bending or breaking.
- It is versatile and stylish, as it can be shaped into various forms and finished with different colors and coatings.
However, aluminum furniture also has some drawbacks that you should consider:
- It can be noisy and uncomfortable, as it can make squeaking sounds when you sit on it or move it. It can also feel hard and cold on your skin, so you may want to use cushions or pads to make it more cozy.
- It can be prone to scratches and dents, as it can be damaged by sharp objects or heavy impacts. You may want to use protective covers or pads to prevent this.
- It can be affected by acidic substances, such as lemon juice or vinegar, which can cause corrosion or discoloration. You may want to avoid using these substances on your furniture or clean them off immediately if they spill.
Teak (Check Discounted furniture Price Now) is a type of hardwood that is native to Southeast Asia. It is one of the most popular materials for outdoor furniture, as it has a natural beauty and durability that can last for decades. Teak furniture can handle extreme heat and sunlight, as it has a high oil content that makes it resistant to moisture, insects, and decay. Some of the advantages of teak furniture are:
- It is elegant and attractive, as it has a rich golden-brown color and a smooth texture. It can also develop a silver-gray patina over time, which adds to its charm and character.
- It is comfortable and ergonomic, as it has a natural warmth and softness that conforms to your body. It can also be carved or curved into various shapes and designs to suit your preferences.
- It is low-maintenance and long-lasting, as it does not require any painting, staining, or sealing. You can simply leave it as it is or apply a teak oil or sealer once a year to preserve its color and shine.
However, teak furniture also has some drawbacks that you should know:
- It is expensive and rare, as it is a high-demand and limited-supply material. It can also be difficult to find authentic and certified teak, as there are many imitations and illegal sources on the market.
- It is heavy and bulky, as it is a dense and solid material. This can make it challenging to move or transport your furniture.
- It can be susceptible to stains and marks, as it can absorb dirt, oil, and water. You may want to use coasters, placemats, or cloths to protect your furniture from spills or stains.
Resin (Check Discounted furniture Price Now) is a type of synthetic material that is made from plastic, rubber, or other substances. It is also known as wicker or rattan, as it is often woven into baskets, chairs, or tables. Resin furniture can endure high temperatures and sunlight, as it is flexible, durable, and colorfast. Some of the benefits of resin furniture are:
- It is lightweight and portable, as it is easy to lift and carry. It is also often collapsible or modular, so you can adjust or rearrange your furniture as you wish.
- It is weather-resistant and waterproof, as it can withstand rain, snow, wind, and sun. It does not rot, rust, or fade, so you can leave it outside all year round.
- It is affordable and available, as it is cheaper and more common than other materials. It also comes in a variety of colors, patterns, and styles, so you can find the one that suits your taste and budget.
However, resin furniture also has some drawbacks that you should be aware of:
- It can be flimsy and unstable, as it can bend or break under pressure or weight. It can also sag or warp over time, losing its shape and support.
- It can be hard to clean and maintain, as it can trap dust, dirt, and mold. You may need to use a vacuum, brush, or hose to remove the debris and a mild soap or detergent to wash the surface.
- It can be harmful to the environment, as it is made from non-biodegradable and non-recyclable materials. It can also release toxic chemicals or gases when exposed to heat or fire.
Tips for Choosing and Caring for Your Outdoor Furniture
Now that you know the pros and cons of each material, you may wonder how to choose and care for your outdoor furniture. Here are some tips to help you out:
Consider your climate and location. Different materials may perform better or worse depending on the weather and environment of your area. For example, if you live in a humid or rainy place, you may want to avoid wood or metal furniture, as they can rot or rust. If you live in a dry or windy place, you may want to avoid plastic or resin furniture, as they can crack or blow away.
Consider your space and style. Different materials may also suit different spaces and styles of your outdoor area. For example, if you have a small or cozy space, you may want to choose lightweight or foldable furniture, as they can save space and create a more intimate atmosphere. If you have a large or spacious space, you may want to choose heavy or solid furniture, as they can fill up the space and create a more grandiose impression.
Consider your comfort and convenience. Different materials may also offer different levels of comfort and convenience for you and your guests. For example, if you want to relax and lounge on your furniture, you may want to choose soft or cushioned furniture, as they can provide more comfort and support. If you want to move and store your furniture easily, you may want to choose portable or stackable furniture, as they can provide more convenience and flexibility.
Clean and protect your furniture regularly. No matter what material you choose, you should always clean and protect your furniture regularly to keep it in good condition and extend its lifespan. You can use a cloth, sponge, or brush to wipe off any dust, dirt, or stains. You can also use a mild soap, detergent, or cleaner to wash off any grease, oil, or grime. You should also use a cover, tarp, or shade to shield your furniture from direct sunlight, rain, snow, or wind. You can also store your furniture indoors or in a shed or garage during the off-season or when not in use.
Choosing the best outdoor furniture to withstand the sun can be a challenging task, as there are many factors to consider and many options to choose from. However, by knowing the benefits and drawbacks of each material, as well as some tips on how to choose and care for your furniture, you can make an informed and confident decision. Whether you prefer HDPE lumber, aluminum, teak, or resin, you can find the perfect outdoor furniture that can withstand the sun and enhance your outdoor space.