SimpliSafe and ADT are both reputable home security companies, but SimpliSafe offers more affordable and flexible monitoring plans than ADT. SimpliSafe also has a wider range of devices and features, and does not require long-term contracts or professional installation. ADT, on the other hand, has more experience and expertise in the industry, and provides more reliable and responsive customer service. In this article, we will compare SimpliSafe and ADT in terms of their monitoring plans, equipment, installation, customer service, and reputation.
SimpliSafe and ADT both offer 24/7 professional monitoring, but their plans differ in price, features, and contract length.
- SimpliSafe has two monitoring plans: Standard and Interactive. The Standard plan costs $14.99 per month and includes basic monitoring, cellular backup, and environmental protection. The Interactive plan costs $24.99 per month and adds features such as remote control, video verification, smart home integration, and secret alerts. SimpliSafe does not require any contracts or activation fees, and allows customers to cancel or switch plans at any time.
- ADT has four monitoring plans: Traditional, Control, Video, and Video Lite. The Traditional plan costs $28.99 per month and includes basic monitoring, landline backup, and environmental protection. The Control plan costs $36.99 per month and adds features such as cellular backup, remote control, smart home integration, and custom alerts. The Video plan costs $52.99 per month and adds features such as live video streaming, video recording, and video doorbell. The Video Lite plan costs $19.99 per month and includes only the video features of the Video plan. ADT requires a 36-month contract and charges an activation fee of $99 to $199, depending on the plan. ADT also charges an early termination fee of 75% of the remaining balance if customers cancel before the contract ends.
SimpliSafe and ADT both offer a variety of devices and sensors for home security, but SimpliSafe has a more modern and sleek design, and a wider range of options.
- SimpliSafe offers a starter kit that includes a base station, a keypad, an entry sensor, a motion sensor, and a key fob. Customers can also customize their own system by adding more devices and sensors, such as a panic button, a glass break sensor, a smoke detector, a water sensor, a freeze sensor, a siren, a smart lock, a doorbell camera, an indoor camera, and an outdoor camera. SimpliSafe’s devices are wireless, battery-powered, and easy to install and use. SimpliSafe also offers a free mobile app that allows customers to control and monitor their system from anywhere.
- ADT offers a basic package that includes a digital panel, a wireless keypad, three entry sensors, a motion sensor, a keychain remote, and a yard sign. Customers can also upgrade their package by adding more devices and sensors, such as a carbon monoxide detector, a flood sensor, a fire alarm, a medical alert pendant, a garage door controller, a smart thermostat, a smart plug, a smart light bulb, a doorbell camera, an indoor camera, and an outdoor camera. ADT’s devices are mostly wired, and require professional installation and maintenance. ADT also offers a mobile app that allows customers to control and monitor their system from anywhere, but only for the Control and Video plans.
SimpliSafe and ADT have different approaches to installation, with SimpliSafe offering a DIY option and ADT requiring a professional service.
- SimpliSafe’s installation process is simple and straightforward, and can be done by anyone in minutes. Customers just need to plug in the base station, place the sensors and devices where they want, and activate the system through the keypad or the app. SimpliSafe does not charge any installation fees, and provides online tutorials and phone support for assistance.
- ADT’s installation process is more complex and time-consuming, and can only be done by a licensed technician. Customers need to schedule an appointment, wait for the technician to arrive, and pay an installation fee of $99 to $199, depending on the package. The technician will assess the home, install the equipment, test the system, and explain how to use it. ADT does not offer any self-installation option, and may charge additional fees for extra services or equipment.
SimpliSafe and ADT both provide customer service through phone, email, and online chat, but ADT has a more reliable and responsive support team.
- SimpliSafe’s customer service is available from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. ET, seven days a week. Customers can call, email, or chat with a representative for questions, issues, or feedback. SimpliSafe also has a comprehensive website that offers FAQs, guides, videos, and blogs. However, SimpliSafe’s customer service is often criticized for being slow, unhelpful, or inconsistent, and for having long wait times or frequent transfers.
- ADT’s customer service is available 24/7, 365 days a year. Customers can call, email, or chat with a representative for questions, issues, or feedback. ADT also has a comprehensive website that offers FAQs, guides, videos, and blogs. In addition, ADT has a network of local dealers and technicians that can provide on-site support and service. ADT’s customer service is generally praised for being fast, helpful, and consistent, and for having short wait times or no transfers.
SimpliSafe and ADT both have a good reputation in the home security industry, but ADT has more experience and expertise, and a higher customer satisfaction rating.
- SimpliSafe is a relatively new company, founded in 2006, and has grown rapidly in the past few years. SimpliSafe has over 3 million customers, and has won several awards and recognition from publications such as CNET, PCMag, and Wirecutter. SimpliSafe has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and a 4.1 out of 5 rating from Trustpilot. However, SimpliSafe also has some negative reviews and complaints from customers, mainly about its customer service, false alarms, and compatibility issues.
- ADT is one of the oldest and largest companies in the home security industry, founded in 1874, and has over 6 million customers. ADT has a long history and expertise in the field, and has earned the trust and loyalty of many customers. ADT has also won several awards and recognition from publications such as J.D. Power, Consumer Reports, and Forbes. ADT has an A+ rating from the BBB, and a 4.5 out of 5 rating from Trustpilot. However, ADT also has some negative reviews and complaints from customers, mainly about its pricing, contracts, and cancellation policies.
SimpliSafe and ADT are both reputable home security companies, but SimpliSafe offers more affordable and flexible monitoring plans than ADT. SimpliSafe also has a wider range of devices and features, and does not require long-term contracts or professional installation. ADT, on the other hand, has more experience and expertise in the industry, and provides more reliable and responsive customer service. Therefore, the best choice depends on the customer’s preferences, budget, and needs. SimpliSafe is ideal for customers who want a simple, modern, and cost-effective system that they can install and customize themselves. ADT is ideal for customers who want a traditional, comprehensive, and reliable system that they can trust and rely on.