The Herman Miller Aeron is a premium ergonomic office chair that ranges from $1,090 to $1,895, depending on the size, features, and finish. It is one of the most popular and highly rated chairs in the market, thanks to its comfort, durability, design, and sustainability. But is it worth the hefty price tag? In this article, we will explore the benefits and drawbacks of the Aeron chair, and help you decide if it is the right choice for your needs.
What is the Herman Miller Aeron chair?
The Herman Miller Aeron chair was first introduced in 1994, and has since become an icon of modern office furniture. It was designed by Bill Stumpf and Don Chadwick, who conducted extensive research on human posture, body types, and ergonomics. The result was a chair that adapts to the user’s movements, supports the spine, and distributes the weight evenly across the seat and back.
The Aeron chair is made of a breathable mesh material called Pellicle, which conforms to the shape of the body and prevents heat buildup. It also features a patented tilt mechanism that allows the user to recline smoothly and naturally, as well as various adjustments for the seat height, depth, angle, armrests, and lumbar support. The Aeron chair comes in three sizes (A, B, and C) to accommodate different heights and weights, and in four colors (Onyx, Graphite, Carbon, and Mineral) to suit different preferences and environments.
The Aeron chair is also known for its environmental friendliness, as it is composed of more than 50 percent recycled material, including ocean-bound plastic. It is also 94 percent recyclable at the end of its life span, which is estimated to be 12 years or more. The Aeron chair has a 12-year, 3-shift warranty, which covers all parts and labor.
What are the pros and cons of the Herman Miller Aeron chair?
The Herman Miller Aeron chair has many advantages that make it a desirable option for office workers, especially those who spend long hours sitting at a desk. Some of the pros are:
- Comfort: The Aeron chair is designed to provide optimal comfort and support for the user, regardless of their posture, activity, or duration of sitting. The mesh material is soft and flexible, yet strong and resilient, and does not cause pressure points or discomfort. The tilt mechanism and the adjustments allow the user to customize the chair to their preferences and needs, and to change positions easily and frequently. The Aeron chair can also reduce the risk of back pain, neck strain, and other musculoskeletal problems that are common among sedentary workers.
- Durability: The Aeron chair is built to last, with high-quality materials and components that can withstand wear and tear. The mesh material is resistant to stains, tears, and abrasions, and does not sag or lose its shape over time. The frame, base, and casters are made of sturdy metal that can support up to 350 pounds of weight. The chair is also easy to maintain, as it does not require any special cleaning or care.
- Design: The Aeron chair is a sleek and stylish piece of furniture that can enhance the look and feel of any office space. It has a minimalist and futuristic aesthetic, with smooth curves and elegant lines. It also has a distinctive silhouette, with a cantilevered seat that gives it a floating appearance. The Aeron chair is available in four colors that can match any decor, and in three sizes that can fit any body type.
- Sustainability: The Aeron chair is a green and eco-friendly product that reflects Herman Miller’s commitment to sustainability and innovation. The chair is made of recycled and recyclable materials, and uses less energy and resources than traditional chairs. It also has a long life span, which reduces waste and landfill. The Aeron chair has earned several certifications and awards for its environmental performance, such as the Cradle to Cradle Silver, the GREENGUARD Gold, and the BIFMA level 3.
However, the Aeron chair also has some drawbacks that may deter some potential buyers. Some of the cons are:
- Price: The Aeron chair is one of the most expensive office chairs in the market, costing more than $1,000 for the basic model, and up to $1,895 for the fully loaded version. This may be out of reach for many consumers, especially those who are on a tight budget or who do not see the value of investing in a high-end chair. The Aeron chair may also be seen as a luxury or a status symbol, rather than a necessity or a practical choice.
- Adjustability: The Aeron chair has a lot of adjustability features, but it also lacks some that are offered by other ergonomic chairs. For instance, the Aeron chair does not have a seat depth adjustment, which means that the seat may be too long or too short for some users, affecting their comfort and leg circulation. The Aeron chair also does not have a headrest, which may be preferred by some users who want extra support for their head and neck. Additionally, some of the adjustments, such as the lumbar support and the armrests, may require additional costs or upgrades, which can increase the price of the chair.
- Compatibility: The Aeron chair is designed to fit a wide range of body types, but it may not suit everyone’s preferences or needs. Some users may find the mesh material too firm or too cold, and may prefer a softer or warmer upholstery. Some users may also find the chair too low or too high, and may have difficulty adjusting it to their ideal height. Furthermore, some users may have trouble finding the right size for their chair, as the sizes are based on height and weight, rather than on measurements or dimensions.
How to choose the right Herman Miller Aeron chair?
If you are interested in buying a Herman Miller Aeron chair, you will need to consider several factors before making your purchase. Here are some tips on how to choose the right Aeron chair for you:
- Size: The first thing you need to do is to determine your size, which is based on your height and weight. Herman Miller provides a size chart on its website, which you can use as a reference. Generally, size A is for people who are 4’10″ to 5’9″ tall and weigh less than 150 pounds, size B is for people who are 5’2″ to 6’6″ tall and weigh between 130 and 325 pounds, and size C is for people who are 5’3″ to 6’6″ tall and weigh between 180 and 350 pounds. However, you should also try the chair in person, if possible, to see how it feels and fits you.
- Features: The next thing you need to do is to decide which features you want for your chair, which will affect the price and the functionality of the chair. The basic features include the standard tilt, the stationary arms, and the carpet casters. The optional features include the tilt limiter, the seat angle, the adjustable arms, the swivel arms, the leather arm pads, the lumbar support, and the PostureFit SL. You should choose the features that are most important and useful for you, and that will provide the most comfort and support for your posture and activities.
- Finish: The last thing you need to do is to select the finish for your chair, which will affect the appearance and the style of the chair. The finish includes the frame, the base, and the Pellicle color. The frame and the base are available in black, graphite, carbon, and mineral, and the Pellicle color is available in onyx, graphite, carbon, and mineral. You should choose the finish that matches your preference and your office environment, and that complements the other furniture and decor in your space.
The Herman Miller Aeron chair is a premium ergonomic office chair that offers comfort, durability, design, and sustainability. It is one of the best office chairs in the market, and has many positive reviews and ratings from experts and users. However, it is also very expensive, and may not suit everyone’s budget, needs, or preferences. Therefore, you should carefully weigh the pros and cons of the Aeron chair, and compare it with other options, before making your final decision. If you decide to buy the Aeron chair, you should follow the tips on how to choose the right size, features, and finish for your chair, and enjoy the benefits of a high-quality and high-performance chair.