The average cost to install wall sconces ranges from $150 to $350 per sconce, depending on the type, style, and location of the sconce. This includes the cost of the sconce itself, the wiring, the switch, and the labor. Wall sconces are decorative light fixtures that are mounted on the wall and provide ambient, accent, or task lighting. They can enhance the aesthetic and functionality of any room, such as living rooms, bedrooms, hallways, bathrooms, and dining rooms.
Factors that affect the cost of wall sconces
The cost of installing wall sconces can vary depending on several factors, such as:
- The type of wall sconce: There are different types of wall sconces, such as plug-in, hardwired, battery-operated, and solar-powered. Plug-in sconces are the easiest and cheapest to install, as they only require an outlet and a cord. Hardwired sconces are more permanent and require wiring and a switch, which can increase the installation cost. Battery-operated sconces are wireless and convenient, but they need frequent battery replacement. Solar-powered sconces are eco-friendly and energy-efficient, but they need direct sunlight and may not work well in cloudy or rainy days.
- The style of wall sconce: Wall sconces come in various styles, such as modern, traditional, rustic, industrial, vintage, and more. The style of the sconce can affect the cost, as some styles may be more expensive or rare than others. For example, a crystal chandelier wall sconce may cost more than a simple metal wall sconce. The style of the sconce should also match the style of the room and the existing decor.
- The location of the wall sconce: The location of the wall sconce can also influence the cost, as some locations may be more difficult or time-consuming to install than others. For example, installing a wall sconce in a bathroom may require special wiring and fixtures that are moisture-resistant and code-compliant. Installing a wall sconce in a hallway or a staircase may require more wiring and switches than installing one in a bedroom or a living room. The location of the wall sconce should also consider the height, spacing, and angle of the sconce for optimal lighting and visual effect.
Benefits of wall sconces
Wall sconces are not only a cost-effective way to add lighting to your home, but they also have many benefits, such as:
- They create a cozy and inviting atmosphere: Wall sconces can create a warm and soft glow that can make any room feel more comfortable and relaxing. They can also create a focal point or a mood for the room, depending on the color, brightness, and direction of the light.
- They save space and add style: Wall sconces can save floor and table space, as they do not require any furniture or stands to support them. They can also add style and personality to your walls, as they come in various shapes, sizes, colors, and materials. They can complement or contrast with your wall color, wallpaper, art, or other accessories.
- They provide flexible and versatile lighting: Wall sconces can provide different types of lighting, such as ambient, accent, or task lighting, depending on the purpose and the design of the sconce. Ambient lighting is general lighting that illuminates the whole room. Accent lighting is directional lighting that highlights a specific feature or area of the room, such as a painting, a fireplace, or a bookshelf. Task lighting is focused lighting that helps you perform a specific activity, such as reading, writing, or sewing. Wall sconces can also be dimmable, adjustable, or swivel, which allows you to control the amount and the direction of the light.
Tips for choosing and installing wall sconces
To choose and install wall sconces that suit your needs and preferences, here are some tips to follow:
- Choose a wall sconce that matches the size and the style of the room: The wall sconce should not be too big or too small for the room, as it may look out of proportion or overwhelm the space. The wall sconce should also match the style and the theme of the room, as it may clash or look out of place otherwise. For example, a modern wall sconce may not fit well in a traditional or rustic room, and vice versa.
- Choose a wall sconce that provides the right amount and the right type of lighting: The wall sconce should provide enough lighting for the intended purpose and the desired effect. For example, if you want to create a cozy and romantic ambiance, you may choose a wall sconce that has a low wattage and a warm color temperature. If you want to highlight a specific feature or area of the room, you may choose a wall sconce that has a high wattage and a cool color temperature. If you want to perform a specific task, you may choose a wall sconce that has a bright and focused light.
- Choose a wall sconce that is easy to install and maintain: The wall sconce should be easy to install and maintain, as it may save you time, money, and hassle in the long run. For example, if you are not comfortable with wiring and electrical work, you may choose a plug-in or a battery-operated wall sconce that does not require any wiring or drilling. If you want to save energy and reduce your electricity bill, you may choose a solar-powered or a LED wall sconce that has a long lifespan and low power consumption. If you want to avoid dust and dirt accumulation, you may choose a wall sconce that has a smooth and easy-to-clean surface.
Wall sconces are a great way to add lighting and style to your home. They can cost anywhere from $150 to $350 per sconce, depending on the type, style, and location of the sconce. They can also provide many benefits, such as creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere, saving space and adding style, and providing flexible and versatile lighting. To choose and install wall sconces that suit your needs and preferences, you should consider the size and the style of the room, the amount and the type of lighting, and the ease of installation and maintenance. With the right wall sconces, you can transform your home into a beautiful and functional space.