The ideal height for wall sconces in a bedroom is between 60 and 72 inches from the floor, depending on the ceiling height, the size of the sconces, and the personal preference of the user. Wall sconces are a great way to add ambient lighting, accentuate the decor, and create a cozy atmosphere in a bedroom. However, installing them at the wrong height can ruin the effect and cause glare, shadows, or imbalance. In this article, we will explain how to determine the best height for wall sconces in a bedroom, and what factors to consider before installing them.
Why Use Wall Sconces in a Bedroom?
Wall sconces are a type of wall-mounted light fixture that usually project light upwards or downwards, or both. They can be used for various purposes in a bedroom, such as:
- Ambient lighting: Wall sconces can provide general illumination for the whole room, or create a soft glow for a relaxing mood. They can also be used to highlight architectural features, such as a fireplace, a niche, or a vaulted ceiling.
- Task lighting: Wall sconces can serve as reading lights, especially when placed on either side of the bed or above the nightstand. They can also be used to illuminate a vanity, a desk, or a dressing area.
- Accent lighting: Wall sconces can draw attention to a specific element in the room, such as a painting, a sculpture, or a collection. They can also create contrast and drama by casting shadows or patterns on the wall.
- Decorative lighting: Wall sconces can enhance the style and theme of the room, by complementing the color scheme, the furniture, and the accessories. They can also add interest and character to the wall, by choosing sconces that have unique shapes, materials, or finishes.
How to Choose the Right Wall Sconces for a Bedroom?
Before deciding on the height of the wall sconces, it is important to choose the right type and size of the sconces for the bedroom. Here are some tips to help you with that:
- Consider the function: Think about what purpose you want the wall sconces to serve in the bedroom, and choose the appropriate type of sconces accordingly. For example, if you want to use them as reading lights, you might want to opt for sconces that have adjustable arms, dimmers, or shades that direct the light downwards. If you want to use them as ambient lighting, you might want to choose sconces that have diffusers, frosted glass, or fabric shades that soften the light and spread it evenly.
- Consider the style: Think about the overall look and feel of the bedroom, and choose the sconces that match or complement the existing decor. For example, if you have a modern and minimalist bedroom, you might want to go for sconces that have sleek and simple designs, such as metal, chrome, or glass sconces. If you have a traditional and cozy bedroom, you might want to opt for sconces that have more ornate and elaborate designs, such as brass, bronze, or crystal sconces.
- Consider the size: Think about the scale and proportion of the sconces in relation to the wall, the ceiling, the bed, and the other furniture in the room. For example, if you have a large and spacious bedroom, you might want to choose sconces that have a bigger and bolder presence, such as sconces that have long arms, large shades, or multiple bulbs. If you have a small and compact bedroom, you might want to pick sconces that have a smaller and subtler presence, such as sconces that have short arms, small shades, or single bulbs.
How to Determine the Best Height for Wall Sconces in a Bedroom?
Once you have selected the right wall sconces for your bedroom, you can proceed to determine the best height for installing them. There is no definitive rule for this, as it depends on several factors, such as:
- The ceiling height: The higher the ceiling, the higher the sconces should be. A general guideline is to install the sconces at least 6 inches below the ceiling, or 12 inches below a sloped ceiling. However, this may vary depending on the size and shape of the sconces, and the effect you want to create.
- The sconce size: The larger the sconces, the lower they should be. A general guideline is to install the sconces at eye level, or about 60 to 66 inches from the floor. However, this may vary depending on the style and function of the sconces, and the personal preference of the user.
- The bed size: The bigger the bed, the higher the sconces should be. A general guideline is to install the sconces at least 12 inches above the top of the headboard, or 18 inches above the mattress. However, this may vary depending on the type and position of the sconces, and the comfort of the user.
To determine the best height for wall sconces in your bedroom, you can use a tape measure, a pencil, and a level to mark the desired location on the wall. You can also use a cardboard cutout, a poster, or a picture of the sconces to visualize how they will look on the wall. You can then adjust the height until you find the optimal spot that suits your needs and preferences.
Wall sconces are a versatile and attractive option for adding lighting and style to a bedroom. However, installing them at the wrong height can ruin the effect and cause problems. Therefore, it is important to follow some guidelines and tips to determine the best height for wall sconces in a bedroom, depending on the ceiling height, the sconce size, the bed size, and other factors. By doing so, you can ensure that your wall sconces will enhance the beauty and functionality of your bedroom.